Lots of immigrants are arriving in the Land of Israel and there is a lot to be done: a bank is needed, a health maintenance organization (HMO) is needed, bigger factories are needed and of course, political parties are needed – so there will be a little action.
And so during the Second Aliyah manyl institutions were established including the Anglo-Palestine Bank, The Israel Land Development Company, which together with private capital purchased land in the Land of Israel, the Jewish National Fund which acquired land that would remain the property of the Jewish nation, Kupat Holim (HMO), Tnuva (a dairy) and Hamashabir (a department store). Labor parties were organized, including Hapoel Hatzair (the Young Worker) and Poaleii Zion (the Workers of Zion). As a result of all this activity, the population grew in the old urban centers and in 1909, the first Hebrew city was founded! That’s right! Tel Aviv
And of course, the Yishuv grew and children were born. Where would they learn? What would be the language of the schools? Yiddish? Ladino? Perhaps German.
And so in those days, new educational institutions were established, from kindergartens to teachers’ colleges, the David Yellin School for Teachers, the Hovevi Zion Hebrew School for Girls in Jaffa (1909) and the Reali School in Haifa. Some of these new institutions received assistance from Alliance Israélite Universelle and from the Ezra (Help) Organization. And the “language war” started in the Land of Israel – what would be the language of the schools?